Russian general sends Arctic warning to USA
We will not accept that U.S. vessels equipped with the Aegis Ballistic Missile Defense System operate in our part of the Arctic, head of the Russian General Staff says.
Nikolai Makarov, leader of the General Staff of the Russian Armed Forces, stresses that Russia will take the necessary countermeasures if U.S. vessels with the Aegis system are dislocated to northern waters or to the Black Sea [ U.S. has secret bases in Black Sea area]. Talking with journalists, Russia´s highest-ranking military official underlines that the appearance of U.S. vessels in northern Russian waters will definitely “pose a threat”.
“We have matching measures ready,” Makarov says, Nezavisimaya Gazeta reports. The general admits, however, that he is not keen on introducing the countermeasures, because they mean “additional financial spending”.
- War in Mali: Geopolitics, France, China, Economic Conflicts,Terrorism, Energy Security, Elites and Sea Lines of Communication
- Korea is the focus, but this crisis is all about disputed islands and the security of oil supplies
- A bridge under troubled waters: Israel’s natural gas fields
- Mulling resource wars for shareholders and corporate interests
- Role and Mission of AFRICOM: Africa’s Oil, Vital Resources, Countering China, Strategic Chokepoints, Maritime Security, Narcotics
- Burma druglords could cash in on opium and methamphetamine production due to Afghanistan decline
- THE DIVIDED OCEANS – Towards a larger Asia-Pacific security architecture
- Amid melting ice, Navy assesses strategic demands in Arctic
- A bonanza under Mediterranean waters. Another source of conflict?
- China deploys Su-27 fighters in Tibet, can target key Indian air bases