Source: AFP/Daily Nation
Italy has deployed 2,000 officers to protect 550 people after the shooting of a nuclear company boss this month in an attack claimed by a violent anarchist group, the interior ministry said on Thursday.
A national security committee met earlier on Thursday after Ansaldo Nucleare boss Roberto Adinolfi was injured in the shooting, reminiscent of multiple attacks carried out by political militants in Italy in the 1970s and 1980s.
The committee meeting “underscored the need to extend surveillance and investigation work so as to neutralise the risk of subversive acts which could further raise tensions” linked to the economic crisis, the ministry said.
Security has already been stepped up around prosecutors and high-profile personalities following the attack after the group claiming responsibility, the Informal Anarchist Federation, said it would carry out seven more.